extended family PORTRAIT SESSION
This session is relaxed and fun, with the aim of getting some lovely natural images of you and your loved ones in a location special to you.
Could the 'organiser' of this session please fill in the questionnaire below.
A candid, extended family portrait session at a location of your choice. This session is charged by the hour (in 30 minute increments, minimum one hour), so can be longer or shorter depending on your needs. Typically these sessions go for 2 hours, and we do a large group photo in one or two locations, then each family group, then grandparents with grandchildren, and then some candids or individual photos of the children.
Pre-shoot phone consultation on location, wardrobe, shoot goals and so on.
USB flash drive for each family group containing at least 20 images per hour (photographer selected), professionally retouched in both colour and black and white, sized for printing (up to 8x12 inches), and for web-sharing.
A private online gallery for ordering fine art prints if desired, able to be shared with family members, online for one month. Gallery will be delivered approximately 2 weeks post-shoot. Click here to see my a la carte pricing.
A slideshow of session highlights for sharing with friends and family.
WHAT SHOULD WE WEAR?
Figuring out what to wear to a session is often the thing that causes the most angst among my clients, but I promise you, it's easy to get it right. To help you along, I've listed my top dos and don'ts. If you only remember the first tip, you'll be doing really well!
- Don't wear clothes with brand names, logos, wording, pictures, cartoons or graphics. When we see writing or graphics in an image, our eye goes start to that. Not only will these kinds of things date your images really fast, they are really distracting, taking attention away from the most important thing in the image (you and your family!).
- Do wear simple, timeless, mid-toned clothes. Clean and simple should be your watch words.
- Don't have your family wear matching clothes, but don't wear clashing clothes either! The days of everyone wearing jeans and a white shirt to their portrait session are over. At the same time, you want to make sure you're not clashing. If everyone is in soft colours and one person is in bright red, the images will look out of balance.
- Do make sure you and your family are wearing complimentary colours. That is; colours in the same and/or complimentary colour family (variations on blue, white, and brown for example), or in the same tone (soft tones in blue, pink, and green, for example). In an extended family portrait where you might not necessarily know what everyone is wearing, your best bet is to go for a neural palate (greys, off whites, blacks, denim blues etc).
- Do wear simple patterns. Simple patterns like thin stripes, small polka dots, and delicate floral patterns can look great if they fit in with the colour scheme of your other family members.
- Do wear clothes that make you feel good about your body. Use clothing to cover up parts of your body that you dislike. For example, wear sleeves if you don't like your arms.
- Do check your outfit in the mirror head to toe before you leave, or have your partner do this for you. Things to think about: Does this need an iron? Are there any distracting stains? Can I see my underwear through my top? The underwear thing is particularly important! I can't tell you how many times people have turned up wearing a top that is slightly see-through or that shows a bra strap, and they are always disappointed that they didn't check this when they get their images back.
- Don't stress too much about what to wear! It's a good idea to plan out what you are going to wear, but please don't stress about it, or go out and spend a lot of money on new clothes. Unless you want to of course! You and your family will be the stars of the images, not your clothes. Remember that the best thing you can wear is a smile, and that these tips are just suggestions, not unbreakable rules.
here are some outfit ideas...
- If your session is outside (in a park, on the beach etc) is very important that you arrive on time, or even 10 minutes early. I typically conduct outdoor sessions at sunrise or sunset, when the light is the best, and if you are late it will mean that we may not enough time to get a good selection of images before the light either becomes unflattering or disappears.
- If your session is outside, we will shoot in any type of weather except rain. In the case of rain, we will reschedule to the closest appropriate date.
- I like to catch candid moments. Sometimes those moments have to be 'set up', so I might ask you to think about something, or tell me a story, or whisper something to your partner and so on. Sometimes this will feel awkward but please trust me!
- Know that almost everyone feels awkward in front of the camera. The best advice I can give is to try to relax and have a bit of fun. Try to keep in mind that for a little bit of awkwardness, you will get images that your family can enjoy for a lifetime.
- Please note that the final images I deliver to you will be selected by me. An important, dare I say essential, part of a photographer's work is to edit down the images from a session to the final, best images. I will take many images during the session, and while these images help me to create the final product by allowing me to test the light, exposure, poses, facial expressions and so on, they are not the final product themselves. It's very important to note that I don't release any images not included with the final set of images on your USB. They were neither created nor intended to be the final product, they have simply enabled me to work out issues that arose to ensure you get the quality images you receive.
- If you or your family become ill or have a genuine emergency, your retainer is transferable to another date. If I have to cancel the session due to illness, emergency, or extreme weather conditions making on-location photography unfeasible, you can choose between rescheduling the session or the return of all monies paid, including the retainer. If there is a need to reschedule, please note that I am typically booked out four weeks or more in advance.
- Please note that travels fees apply for destinations further than 60kms round trip from Brunswick East, 3057. Each kilometre past this point is charged at $1.
Contact me here if you have any questions or concerns.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please familiarise yourself with my terms and conditions.