what to wear to your session
Figuring out what to wear to a session is often the thing that causes the most angst among my clients, but I promise you, it's easy to get it right. To help you along, I've listed my top dos and don'ts. If you only remember the first tip, you'll be doing really well!
- Don't wear clothes with brand names, logos, wording, pictures, cartoons or graphics. When we see writing or graphics in an image, our eye goes start to that. Not only will these kinds of things date your images really fast, they are really distracting, taking attention away from the most important thing in the image (you and your family!).
- Do wear simple, timeless, mid-toned clothes. Clean and simple should be your watch words.
- Don't have your family wear matching clothes, but don't wear clashing clothes either! The days of everyone wearing jeans and a white shirt to their portrait session are over. At the same time, you want to make sure you're not clashing. If everyone is in soft colours and one person is in bright red, the images will look out of balance.
- Do make sure you and your family are wearing complimentary colours. That is; colours in the same and/or complimentary colour family (variations on blue, white, and brown for example), or in the same tone (soft tones in blue, pink, and green, for example). In an extended family portrait where you might not necessarily know what everyone is wearing, your best bet is to go for a neural palate (greys, off whites, blacks, denim blues etc).
- Do wear simple patterns. Simple patterns like thin stripes, small polka dots, and delicate floral patterns can look great if they fit in with the colour scheme of your other family members.
- Do wear clothes that make you feel good about your body. Use clothing to cover up parts of your body that you dislike. For example, wear sleeves if you don't like your arms.
- Do check your outfit in the mirror head to toe before you leave, or have your partner do this for you. Things to think about: Does this need an iron? Are there any distracting stains? Can I see my underwear through my top? The underwear thing is particularly important! I can't tell you how many times people have turned up wearing a top that is slightly see-through or that shows a bra strap, and they are always disappointed that they didn't check this when they get their images back.
- Don't stress too much about what to wear! It's a good idea to plan out what you are going to wear, but please don't stress about it, or go out and spend a lot of money on new clothes. Unless you want to of course! You and your family will be the stars of the images, not your clothes. Remember that the best thing you can wear is a smile, and that these tips are just suggestions, not unbreakable rules.