what to wear to your business shoot
Figuring out what to wear to a session is often the thing that causes the most angst among my clients, but I promise you, it's easy to get it right. To help you along, I've listed my top dos and don'ts.
- Don't wear clothes with brand names, logos, wording, pictures, cartoons or graphics (excepting, of course, businesses that have a uniform and/or clothing with your businesses branding) . When we see writing or graphics in an image, our eye goes start to that. Not only will these kinds of things date your images really fast, they are really distracting, taking attention away from the most important thing in the image (you!)
- Do wear simple, timeless, mid-toned clothes. Clean and simple should be your watch words.
- Do discuss with your team the colours, tones and level of clothing formality that match or compliment your brand colours and the look and feel of your brand. It's a good idea to have a discussion with your team about clothing and colours to make sure everyone is on the same page. If your brand colours are pastel, and someone turns up wearing a red top, the images will look out of balance, and also won't work well with your branding. Same if your brand-feel is casual and relaxed, but you're wearing a suit. Think about what your want your brand and business to communication to clients (friendliness, professionalism, creativity), and choose clothing that represents those ideas.
- Do wear simple patterns. Simple patterns like thin stripes, small polka dots, and delicate floral patterns can look great if they fit in with the colour scheme of your brand.
- Do wear clothes that make you feel good about your body. Use clothing to cover up parts of your body that you dislike. For example, wear sleeves if you don't like your arms.
- Do check your outfit in the mirror head to toe before you leave, or have your partner/a friend do this for you. Things to think about: Does this need an iron? Are there any distracting stains? Can I see my underwear through my top? This is important! I can't tell you how many times people have turned up wearing a top that is slightly see-through and shows underwear, or shows up sweat stains obviously, and they are always disappointed that they didn't check this when they get their images back.
- Don't stress too much about what to wear! It's a good idea to plan out what you are going to wear, but please don't stress about it, or go out and spend a lot of money on new clothes. Unless you want to of course :) Remember that the best thing you can wear is a smile, and that these tips are just suggestions, not unbreakable rules.